Tuesday, August 16, 2011

From the very moment that I woke up today, I wanted to bake sugar cookies and muffins for the tea time we have after our Tuesday night prayer services.
Rushing through the day, the baking was at the back of my mind haunting me (in a pleasant way of course)
So, silly me, thought I could bake it all up right before the service. Which of course was a fail.
The prayer started and I'm still whisking away (with my good friend Nazar trying to help me)
In a hurry I popped everything in the oven and ran to our prayer room with a cup of coffee.
Slowly going deeper into the spirit, I was feeling lots of good things, including the amazing aroma of sugar and vanilla filling the house along with the traditionally late people oozing in.
Now, Tuesday prayer nights, I consider them "my" nights.  Which is probably incorrect. It's God's night. But I lead the music under the leading of the Holy Spirit. It's the most fun thing that I ever enjoy doing. The  Holy Spirit gives such amazing spontaneous beautiful melodic songs, rhymes, words. It's so beyond traditional church singings where everything is planned out and recited the night before with the band.  This is something so new. Totally unplanned and natural.
And I do have to admit that I throughly enjoy that  I have no other people butting in with their versions of russian hillsong songs that they want to out sing with me. bleh. This happens a lot on the other church services we have. Where I'm not in charge. Where I give people and their 'worship music desires' freedom.
So back to my amazing aroma. Eyes closed, happy heart, Jesus on my mind, beautiful new melody coming out of my vocal chords and the guitar strings. Bakery forgotten. Trouble brewing in the kitchen.
Feeling like everyone should sing an old russian hymn together; I open my eyes to mimic to my friend Nazar (who sings with me) that we should do the song we had talked about earlier.
Eyes opened; I see my dad and Nazar making hand motions to me. I thought it was about the song, but alas it was about the burning bakery. Nazar and a few ladies ran off to turn the oven off and somehow save the muffins and cookies.
I couldn't help laughing. I was such a Martha tonight. Unlike Mary. Missing the beginning of my beloved time of the week, Tuesday Prayer, just for the sake of kitchen and food.
Things that we put before our time with God.... Don't we know that our God is a jealous God? He will burn those things in the way of our relationship with Him.
Just like this burned oven-full of, now, inedible rocks.